Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I (heart) Philip Guston




No photos are permitted at the intensely moving show of Guston drawings on view at the Morgan Library (thru aug. 31), which I would say is a must-see, but the MoMA has its spacious second-floor gallery devoted to some knockout works from the Edward R. Broida collection. Again, I wish my photos were a bit better, but the work looks great in person. A sense of desperation in these works that somehow manages to be weirdly reassuring in that existential angst-y sort of way. The painting of these skyward-looking Byzantine Madonna-style eyes puts me in mind of that famous late Goya where the little dog appears to be struggling to stay afloat atop a giant wave of liquid asphalt. And as for this bird's eye view of an open wound that's been sutured to stay that way, well, what can be said, really?

No comments: