Saturday, June 28, 2008

details, details.....





Here are some details, all taken from the Met museum this week. The Turner show which just opened has some thrilling work, especially ( of course ) the late paintings in oil and ( of course ) watercolor. No way to get a good shot of any, though. You will just have to go see for yourself. One of my all-time favorite Cezanne still life paintings. One where the bunching folds of the linen tablecloth come really close to resembling the mountains he loved so much. I think it was subliminal for him, but there are so many instances where you can see it. The only other explanation is that it is my own imagination. A gorgeously painted chinese tea set from a Mary Cassatt painting. Don't know why she spent so much time painting ladies with babies when she could do this. ( btw, I will count this tea-set towards "relevance to pottery in this blog", something I resolve to adhere to a bit more ). Finally, the hands of Gertrude Stein. The great early Picasso portrait. I just love looking at that painting.

No comments: