Monday, December 14, 2009

Pamela Sunday @ Van Den Akker




This show was called Macroscopic, and had great pieces. I missed out on the meet & greet with the artist and ended up really wishing I hadn't, since there were lots of things I'd have asked. There is a very labor-intensive handbuilding going on here; a very tenacious focus on the details. Appears to be mostly stoneware. I would have liked to learn more about the firing and glazes. Sunday works out of a studio in Brooklyn and has a prior background in fashion, as a stylist. As always, I have done the best I could with the photographs, but there is a lot that doesn't quite come through in them. Oddly, I failed to get a shot of what I think was my favorite piece of the group, a minutely detailed one called Hive. The bronze colored spiky one on the crazy marble tabletop reminds me of a blowup version of the burrs from a sweetgum tree. I believe the light colored ones are called Burst, and the one above them Electrum.

No comments: